Every year, thousands of homeowners experience roofing emergencies. Between 2014 and 2018, wind and hail damage alone accounted for 34.4% of homeowner’s insurance claims, with the average claim costing $11,200. Wind and hail are just two of the many things that can damage your home in any given year.
Emergency roof repairs shouldn’t be ignored. If your roof is damaged or deteriorating, it can put your entire home at risk.
Proper maintenance and care can help prevent emergencies, but what if you’re already dealing with a roofing emergency? In some cases, there are temporary solutions that can help stop the damage from getting worse until your roofer arrives.
What Causes a Roofing Emergency?
A roofing emergency can be caused by many things, including:
- Fallen trees or objects. Cracks or holes leave your home exposed to the elements and vulnerable to pests. If left untreated, this type of damage will only get worse over time.
- Water damage from broken or clogged pipes. Eventually, moisture will make its way into your attic or ceiling, which can lead to mold and mildew growth. When water damage is left unchecked, the cost of repair can be significant.
- High winds and storm damage. Wind can rip shingles off the roof, leaving your home exposed. Over time, this damage can progress into a much larger issue.
- Improper roof installation. Unfortunately, roofs are not always installed properly or with care, and this can lead to bigger issues down the road if left unfixed.
- Age. Eventually, every roof will need to be repaired or replaced. Roof structures weaken over time, and this can lead to leaks or cracks and holes that allow pests and the elements in. If you have an older roof, it may be time for repair or replacement.
Regardless of the cause, it’s important to get these emergency roof repairs taken care of as soon as possible.
Temporary Solutions for Roof Emergencies
If you’re facing a roofing emergency, call a professional, like Cable’s Roofing. A reputable roofing company like us can diagnose the issue and handle the repair or replacement (if necessary). Schedule an appointment as soon as possible to tackle the problem before it progresses into a bigger (and more expensive) issue.
Do not attempt to climb onto your roof and fix the issue yourself. Unless you’re experienced professional, you’re putting yourself at risk of serious injury or making the problem even worse.
While you’re waiting for your roofer, there may be a few steps you can take to prevent the damage from getting worse. However, there are some scenarios where you simply have to wait for help to arrive and leave it to the professionals.
- If your roof is caving in, do not attempt to do anything. In this situation, it’s best to find another place to stay until the roof is properly repaired. Your family’s safety is your top priority, and a roof in this state can be unpredictable.
- If your roof is leaking or you have water damage, you may want to cover your home’s interior with plastic sheeting. The plastic covering can help prevent further water damage.
If you do have experience climbing onto roofs and can safely do so with a spotter, you may be able to place a tarp over the damaged area to keep moisture and pests outside of your home. Another option is to use roofing tape, which will help seal up cracks and holes until they can be repaired.
Remember that both of these solutions are only temporary and meant to help protect your home until permanent repairs can be completed.
Preventing Future Emergency Roof Repairs
Prevention is the best way to avoid emergency roof repairs. Proper maintenance and care can go a long way in preserving the health and lifespan of your roof.
Annual roof maintenance is important for preventing future roofing emergencies. Yearly maintenance should include:
- Cleaning out your gutters regularly (twice per year). This is something you can do yourself, or you can hire a professional.
- Checking your attic for signs of water damage, especially after a heavy rainfall.
- Safely inspecting shingles. You should only do this if you have experience and feel comfortable being up on your roof.
One of the best things you can do for the health and life of your roof is schedule an annual roof inspection with a professional roofing company, like us. An inspection can help pinpoint potential issues, so you can fix them now before they become an emergency.
In the long-run, a simple annual roof inspection can save you a lot of time, money and frustration.
At Cable’s Roofing, we understand that roof emergencies can be stressful and overwhelming. We’re here to help.
If you are facing a roofing emergency or want to schedule a roof inspection to prevent an emergency, call us today at 903-581-5599 to schedule your free estimate.